Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Great Minnesota Get Together... or The Minnesota State Fair


Well, the "newbies" went to the MN State Fair today! Yes it was raining in the morning, and yes we had some rain while we were there, but all in all, it was fun! Hannah and I were there for about 6 1/2 hours, and our feet are tired!



Our 1st stop was mini donuts! TOO much sugar!! But they were good... We ate them while in line...









For... the Miracle of Birth Center to open.. I was told that we HAD to go! And to go early! I can see why! We got there are 9am when it opened.. it was PACKED!






We didn't see any LARGE animals giving birth, unless you count watching it on video.. but we did see this chick coming out of the shell! There were about 10 eggs that were in different stages of breaking open...



Then it was off to see some other sites...
We went to the Kare 11 barn.. and Kim Insley was there signing autographs! Hannah had met her when she did a "What's cool in our school" segment at Hillcrest. Mrs Insley actually remember the segment. I don't think she remembered Hannah, but she is really sweet in person.. And she is tiny!!!
Then it was time for some lemonade! Very yummy as you can see!
Then it was off to see some other site, including the Dairy Barn.



And we watched them carve the princess of the day. (Had picture ready, but blogger was being diffecult!)


Coke was doing a display of recycled pop bottles. You got to vote on which creation you liked the best. Hannah liked the dog!
And we saw these really cool topiary
Moose....
horse....

the peacock and the guy who makes the topiary...


and the State Fair gopher... (he has a name, I think.. but I don't know it.. )


It was a blast.. It has been 8 years since I was there.. Hannah didn't remember anything! Surprisingly we didn't eat much at all! Hmmm..
But I think that we saw everything!! We went into almost EVERY building!! I can see why Karen loves it so much..
shawn

4 comments:

Karen said...

HOORAY! I thought of you several times today, hoping you were dry and happy :-)

Mama Ava said...

Wait a gosh-darn minute. Are you saying that this is your FIRST time to the Fair?! How can that be? It doesn't matter how rainy or sticky or hot or whatever it is...you go and you gorge!

We used to alternate years with the State Fair and the Renaissance Fair. I always missed the State Fair on the Renaissance years.

kathleenh said...

It looks like I missed you by a day at the fair. We went to lots of the same places. It looks like you had a great time!

shawn said...

YUP, I had fun.. AND NO Carla, I have been to the fair before, it's just been 8 years!! Hannah didn't remember even going.. I know, I am bad.. but you have to remember.. I am not from MN!!
And yes, for the most part we stayed dry.. and happy.. except for the feet.. which are still sore!!